The Kemble Tract serves as a landmark gateway into Harding Township. It is a contributing property to Harding Township’s scenic, historic, and environmental values.
Also known as Glen Alpin, the Kemble Tract is owned by the Township of Harding (85.72 %) and the Harding Land Trust (14.28 %). The scenic property encompasses over nine and a half acres at the corner of Mount Kemble Avenue and Tempe Wick Road. The six acres of open land that front the distinctive historic building make this corner an important visual gateway to the Jockey Hollow Encampment Area of the Morristown National Historical Park, to historic Morristown, and to Harding Township. The house on the property is an excellent model of historic Gothic Revival architecture, and is one of the best remaining examples of this style existing in New Jersey today.
Historically, this property was the home of an important colonial official, Peter Kemble. His house and the land around it were part of a 1250-acre plantation called Mount Kemble. During the Revolutionary War, the Continental Army camped on areas of the plantation which now are part of the Morristown National Historical Park. The graves of Peter Kemble and members of his immediate family remain on the property. This tract is also a contributing property in the Tempe Wick/Washington Corners Historic District, in Mendham and Harding Townships, and is listed in the state and national registries of historic places.
Largely open space with sweeping lawn shaded by magnificent specimen tress, the land is part of an environmentally sensitive corridor. Preservation of Kemble Tract protects wildlife habitats and filters runoff from Primrose Brook, which then runs its course and discharges into the Great Swamp National Wildlife Refuge.
HARDING LAND TRUST NEEDS YOU
MAKE A DONATION
Preserve and Maintain
our Open Spaces